TOWARDS THE SEA
S. Agata, S. Maria della Neve, Termini, Nerano
Description of the route
A path from Sant’Agata sui Due Golfi to the beach of Marina del Cantone, crossing the eastern side of the Sorrento peninsula.
From the main square of Sant’Agata, after visiting Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie, walk along Corso Sant’Agata and, at the crossroads near Largo Padre Ludovico da Casoria, continue to the right towards Via Li Campi. The road leads to Santa Maria della Neve, a small panoramic hill with the tuff church on top dedicated to the Madonna della Neve. The church, already existing in 1500, has a beautiful eighteenth-century majolica floor. The walk continues along the road for about 600 meters until you find Via Colarusso on the left, a panoramic road that reaches the intersection with Via Tore di Termini, in a green agricultural landscape made of terraces sloping down to the sea. After covering the whole road, you reach the village of Termini, an enchanting hamlet overlooking the island of Capri, in whose square is the Church of Santa Croce. Recently restored, this 16th century church has a beautiful majolica floor with eighteenth-century ornaments, elaborate stucco work and paintings from the same period. Immediately after the church, to the left of Via Campanella, take the narrow path that leads to the village of Nerano. This hamlet is located in a basin gently sloping towards the sea and it is framed by the eastern ridge of Monte San Costanzo and the southern ridge of the Tore. The small village extends around the church dedicated to Jesus the Savior, whose construction probably dates back to the 15th century. Once visited the church, the excursion continues along Via Petrale, an alley that crosses the characteristic houses of the village. The path, crossing at several points with the main road, continues up to the beach of Marina del Cantone. The toponym Nerano, according to some sources, derives from Neronianum, a Roman villa which perhaps belonged to Nero. Instead the name Anarano, together with Jnerano and Inderano, appears for the first time in 1390. The proximity to the sea, a feature that today makes this place an ideal tourist destination, was in the past a source of numerous dangers. In fact, at the beginning of November 1320, the year in which the village was first reported, from three galleys and a galleon of Queen Margherita landed men who inflicted serious damage on Anarano. Another landing occurred at dawn on 13 June 1558, the day of Saint Anthony, and was the most tragic of all. The Turkish armies, under the command of Pyaly Mustafà, arrived in Marina del Cantone plundered the entire territory and made numerous prisoners. And right in Marina del Cantone, on the eastern end of the beach, there is the church dedicated to Sant’Antonio da Padova, built in 1646, with a beautiful mosaic with marine designs. The feast of the patron saint, protector of mariners, takes place on June 13 with a characteristic procession by sea.