by Rosario Sisto
Are you tired of the usual tourist activities?
How often can you repeat the same activities in different places before they start getting monotonous? Visiting museums, archeological sites, churches, going out to eat at the restaurants of the area to try out the local cuisine and so on.
Obviously there’s nothing wrong with any of these activities, but it’s natural that one would like to experience something different from time to time. Perhaps many of you might be interested in doing things that are usually not included in the typical tourist itinerary, and it’s precisely to you that we offer a series of non-tourist activities that you can enjoy here in Massa Lubrense!
From various types of sports to direct experience of how farms work, you will find out that here there’s always something able to catch your interest!
Non-tourist activities for the body and mind
Here in Massa Lubrense you’ll find many occasions to try out various kinds of sports. Some of which are aimed at the benefit of the body, while others benefit the spirit.
Here are some activities that we particularily encourage you to try out:
- Yoga: The origins of Yoga date back to several thousand years ago in India. It’s a sort of midway point between a purely physical activity and an actual philosophy. It’s made up of a series of activities that not only benefit your physical health but also allow you to reach a better spiritual state. Ever since ancient times many individuals have deemed it possible to reach a level of enlightenment and spiritual salvation through these practices. There are various types of Yoga, each with its own characteristics, such as, for instance, Sri Sri Yoga.
- Pilates: A physical training method, created by Joseph Pilates at the beginnings of the 20th century, which takes inspiration from Yoga. Pilates aims to train muscles in a precise manner, so as to improve one’s own posture, as well as the fluidity and precision of their movements, without excessively increasing muscle mass.
- Canoeing: Here in Massa Lubrense you’ll be able to partake in guided tours through our waters by canoe. If you’re interested in working out your physique and admiring the beauties of our coasts at the same time we invite you not to let this chance slip by!
There are many other kinds of sports that you’ll be able to practice here. We often organize events that will allow you to participate with the help of experts. Therefore we suggest you always keep an eye on our calendar.
Unique religious experiences
If you’re interested in knowing about how religious holidays are celebrated here in Massa Lubrense then we encourage you to attend the processions of Venerdì Santo (Good Friday).
There are two processions organized by two organizations:
- The procession of Christ deceased, run by the Archconfraternity of Death and Prayer, which aims to represent the passion and death of Christ. The Archconfraternity was born in 1613 with the goal of guaranteeing a proper burial to all those who couldn’t afford it due to their poverty.
- A procession organized by the Brotherhood of Saint Philip Neri, which also represents the death of Christ. The Brotherhood was officially founded in 1575 by Philip Neri and its goal is to sanctify souls through the use of education and preaching.
Kids entertainment in Massa Lubrense
If you have kids with you and you want them to also have their own fun activities to partake in, have no fear! Here in Massa Lubrense you’ll find various playgrounds where your kids will be able to play while immersed in nature.
In Sant’Agata sui due Golfi, one of our hamlets, you will find a recently opened park along via Reola, open from Monday to Friday, from 9:00 AM to 13:00 PM and from 15:00 PM to 18:00 PM, and on Saturdays and Sundays from 9:00 AM to 18:00 PM. It’s open to both adults and kids alike, allowing the former to relax immersed in nature while the latter have fun playing.
Parco delle Sirene has recently been reopened and it now sports a new playground area for kids, complete with new safety measures. Furthermore accessibility for disabled people has been improved in all areas of the park. The park is located in Massa Centro, on via Rotabile Massa Turro.
Immerse yourself in the world of farming
If you’ve ever wished to observe with your own eyes how olive farming and harvesting works, here in Massa Lubrense you’ll get the chance to!
In our territory we have many farming companies which produce a lot of different products. Many of them tend to produce cooking oil by harvesting olives.
Generally olive harvesting takes place between October and December, and it’s right around this period that a “walk among the olive trees” is organized by the National Association “Città dell’Olio”, which includes hundreds of cities from all of Italy. Among these cities, Massa Lubrense is often included. In this case, we invite you to take part in it if you wish to live a unique experience in direct contact with the local farming activities!
Non-tourist activities for a unique experience
Obviously there are many more non-tourist activities that you will find here in Massa Lubrense. In this article we’ve pointed out only a few which, in our opinion, you may appreciate the most.
Therefore if you wish to have a tourist experience that is a bit different than usual we strongly encourage you to come visit us as soon as possible. We assure you that your stay here will be unforgettable!