Full of mysteries, the Campi Flegrei is a land shaped by the time that slowly reveals the memories of a noble past and retains many of its secrets jealously.
The Campi Flegrei is a land in constant evolution since ancient ages. The earth’s crust thins to let emerge the flaming heart of the Earth. The instability characterizes the landscape as the inhabitants are accustomed to rapid exodus. But a place so harsh and strong, where land, water and fire collide, could not fail to arouse wonder, respect and fear since ancient times. volcanic activity of this region – phlegraios just means burning – is the source of as many as 72 springs with temperatures ranging between 20 ° C and 70 ° C. Cuma, Dicearchia (modern Pozzuoli), Agnano, Baia and Bacoli were the most important centers of the area of Campi Flegrei that at the time of the ancient Greeks stretched west of Naples from Posillipo to Cuma and included the islands of Nisida, Ischia and Procida.
Cuma is a place suspended between history, myth and legend , famous for its architectural remains of antiquity. Established in 1930 , the Archaeological Park of Cuma ( open daily from 9:00 am to sunset) is the oldest and most extensive of the Campi Flegrei, and is still the subject of study and research. In the lower part of the town were the amphitheater from the second century BC , the Forum, the Capitolium and spa complex . Before accessing the Acropolis meet the Roman crypt , a long tunnel that attaversava Mount of Cuma, plugging the hole to the docks , and the Cave of the Sibyl oracle : the latter, mentioned by Virgil in the sixth canto of and considered the seat of the priestess of Apollo, where the ancients turned to get a response on the fate , was actually a defensive military work . Walking the Via Sacra, which boasts some vantage points from which the view extends as far as Cape Misenum , you can see the ruins of the temples of Jupiter and Apollo.
PPozzuoli , the ancient Dicearchia (city of just government ) was founded by exiles from Samos Greek around the year 530 BC Then it came under the rule of Rome, who renamed Puteolis , and until the opening of the port of Ostia became the Roman airport most important in the Mediterranean. The city grew on the hills surrounding the tuff promontory ward Earth, almost entirely surrounded by the sea . Not far away, in the first century AD, the time of Vespasian , rose the majestic Flavian Amphitheatre ( open daily from 9 am to sunset) . Across the harbor , Pozzuoli came into contact with throughout the ancient world , assimilating traditional arts such as glass, ceramics, perfumes, fabrics, colors and iron. The district land became fortified town in the Middle Ages , and later , because of its location and the rich features of the area , interested in all the rulers who succeeded to the throne of Naples. Numerous churches were built in the intricate road system and began the work of construction of the beach. However, the building ferment was destined again to be interrupted by a natural event : the birth and the eruption of Monte Nuovo, of 1538. In 1600, the Rione Terra was undergoing radical and major renovations. The palaces suffered a work of upgrading according to the forms of the era. Over the last hundred years, finally, the neighborhood has undergone a further process of deterioration arbitrary demolition, a serious fire and the evacuation of 1970 decreed the total interruption of the History of Pozzuoli. The bradyseism of 1983 seemed to inflict a terrible blow, but in recent years has begun a new phase of restoration and upgrading, thanks to a project that would transform the area into a pole culture. Through the city center with obligatory stop at the square of the Temple of Serapis you can make a stop at the volcano Solfatara. Still active, the Solfatara of Pozzuoli is without doubt the most interesting volcano Campi Flegrei where you can immerse yourself in a landscape of Dante’s Inferno surrounded by sulphurous vapors and natural sources of heat.
At the time of the ancient Romans, Baia was a coveted resort and spa resort: Caesar, Pompey and Cicero had built sumptuous villas and Horace declared her the most beautiful bay in the world. The Baths of Baia currently part of the homonymous archaeological park. You then go to the Aragonese Castle, the seat of the Archaeological Museum (open from 9 am until sundown, closed on Mondays), within which are the testimonies of the ancient splendor of the Bay and the imperial harbor of Misenum.
Bacoli is a small fishing town, once a glorious Roman military port. Jewels of this town are the remains of two of the Bilder für Wikipedianumerose structures from the Roman era. Piscina Mirabilis is the largest Roman cistern in Italy and is the terminal of the Serino aqueduct. It ‘s all dug into the tuff. The walls are entirely covered by the famous plaster cocciopesto, able to withstand in the presence of water for nearly 2000 years. The charm of the place is enhanced by the narrow openings of the filter once they leave a soft light capable of giving extraordinary charm of this “cathedral” Roman hydraulic engineering. Not far away, yet the complex water system to make a spectacle in the Roman villa of Hortensius Hundred camerelle Ortalo (open daily from 9 am until one hour before sunset, in agreement with the custodian), and some tunnels come up to the ridge tuff overlooking the sea, others are dead-end and not yet fully explored.