Convent of San Francesco
Position: San Francesco
The Convent of San Francesco is adjacent to the Church of the Madonna della Salute and incorporates the tower of Liparulo, adapted as a bell tower. It has a beautiful cloister. Upstairs are the monks’ rooms, along a wide corridor that follows the line of the square cloister.
In September 1837 the Minimal Fathers were expelled. The convent, used as a hospital during that year’s cholera epidemic, became a district prison and a district court, both abolished in 1891. It was the seat of the Congregation of Charity and a hospice for the poor. In 1929 the Minimal Fathers were placed in the convent, where today the apostolate takes place in this area.
Mons. Gallo, bishop of Massa, proclaimed, at the request of the citizens, San Francesco di Paolo Patron of Massa Lubrense. The Civic Administration every year, on the feast day, solemnly offers a candle in honor of the Saint.