From Monday 25 May 2020 the Pro Loco Massa Lubrense office will reopen to the public. For the month of May and June, the office will be open every day, from 9:30 to 13:00.
In compliance with the anti-contagion rules, user access is limited to a maximum of two people at a time. The use of masks and hand sanitization remains mandatory, as well as respect for the interpersonal distance of at least one meter.
The premises have undergone preventive sanitation in order to prepare them for reopening in the appropriate state of health security. Horizontal signage and information stickers for users help to correctly direct their flow and behavior.
The 2020 carnival of Termini (Massa Lubrense): times, dates, parade program and all useful information.
The Cultural Association Termini non solo Carnevale has organized for this year a Carnival full of music, colors and joy.
The Carnival in Termini kicks off on Sunday 23 February and until Sunday 1 March Termini will be invaded by the colors of the Carnival masks and parades of allegorical floats for what is one of the most characteristic carnivals of the Sorrento Peninsula.
The full program of the Carnival in Termini 2020 is on the poster.
Limoni in festa 2018 – Massa Lubrense Lemon Festival
The highlight event of the summer of Massa Lubrense. An excellent opportunity to taste many delicacies of the cuisine of Massa Lubrense based on the typical citrus that gives the name to the festival: our oval lemon called “femminiello”.
A series of events taking place in the city center, following the flavors of dishes with lemon scent, the sounds of popular music, the rediscovery of the oldest buildings, the streets, the typical corners.
Friday, 13 July 2018 6.30am – 11.00pm Market with typical products and local crafts 8.30pm Concert “Divenendo Live” by Marco Mariconda and Le Sequenze
Saturday 14 July 2018 10.30am – 11.00pm Market with typical products and local craftsmanship 5.00pm Guided walking Massa center – Annunziata – Marina Lobra 7.00pm – 11.00pm Gastronomic itinerary based on lemons 9.00 pm Concert Mujeres Creando – Special Guest: Enzo Gragnaniello with Piero Gallo
Sunday 15 July 2018 10.30am – 11.00pm Market with typical products and local craftsmanship 7.00pm – 11.00pm Gastronomic itinerary based on lemons 9.00 pm “Parco Sofia Tour” concert of La Maschera
Largo Vescovado, 80061 Massa Lubrense, Naples, Italy
On 2018 the Campania Express, the tourist train between Naples and Sorrento, will be active from March 11 to October 14th.
The Campania Express train is air-conditioned, has video surveillance and 144 seats, plus four for the disabled. It’s a fast and comfortable connection that takes visitors directly into the heart of some of the major tourist attractions of the Region: Sorrento, Vico Equense, Castellammare di Stabia (Faito cableway), Pompeii, Oplonti, Ercolano and Naples.
Naples – Sorrento: € 15.00 round trip | € 8.00 one way
Naples – Ercolano: 7.00 € round trip | € 4.00 one way
Naples – Villa Misteri: 11,00 € round trip | € 6.00 one way
Sorrento – Villa Misteri: 7.00 € round trip |€ 4.00 one way
Sorrento – Ercolano: 11.00 € round trip | € 6.00 one way
Ercolano – Villa Misteri: 7,00 € round trip |€ 4.00 one way
The round trip ticket allows you to make the return journey on a different date of the outward journey. On the date of the outward and/or return journey, it allows you to get off at the intermediate stops and then continue your journey.In this case, the reservation does not guarantee the availability of seating in the intermediate sections.
The main event of the summer in Massa Lubrense, an excellent opportunity to taste many delicacies of the local cuisine based on the typical citrus fruit that gives its name to the festival: the oval lemon said “femminiello”.
A series of activities that take place in the city center, in a lemon-scented atmosphere, enjoying the sound of folk music, rediscovering local crafts and art inspired by our land.
Friday, July 28, 2017 6.30pm – 11.00pm Street market with typical products and local crafts 7.00pm Opening of the art exhibition “Massa incontra l’arte” 8.30pm “Le Loving” in concert: three sopranos directed by Maestro Antonello Cascone
Saturday, July 29, 2017 10.30am – 11.00pm Street market with typical products and local crafts 10.30am – 11.00pm Art exhibition “Massa incontra l’arte” 7.00pm – 11.00pm Lemon gastronomic tour 8.30pm “Discede” and “Taranta Power” in concert: folk music from past to present. Special guest: Eugenio Bennato
Sunday, July 30, 2017 10.30am – 11.00pm Street market with typical products and local crafts 10.30am – 11.00pm Art exhibition “Massa incontra l’arte” 7.00pm – 11.00pm Lemon gastronomic tour 8.30pm The tenor Carmine De Domenico in Passione Napoletana concert
Largo Vescovado, 80061 Massa Lubrense, Province of Naples, Italy
Start: Pro Loco Massa Lubrense – 10:30am | Duration: 5 hours Itinerary: Massa centro – Molini – Vigliano – Pantano – Sorrento – Capodimonte – Li Simoni – Montecorbo – Arorella – Massa centro Lunch at “Tenuta Montecorbo”
October 23rd, 2016
Start: Pro Loco Massa Lubrense – 10:30am | Duration: 5 hours Itinerary: Massa centro – Campo – San Liberatore – Annunziata – Santa Maria – Schiazzano – Santa Maria – Massa centro Lunch at “Ristorante Da Francesco”
October 30th, 2016
Start: Piazza Sant’Agata sui due Golfi – 10:30am | Duration: 5 hours Itinerary: S. Agata – Acquacarbone – Priora – Prasiano – Massa Lubrense – Mortora – San Francesco – Aragona – Pastena – S. Agata Lunch at “Agriturismo Don Peppe”
All walks include lunch: first course, dessert, water and wine. The cost per person is € 10.00.
INFORMATION AND RESERVATIONS 081 5339021 (9:30-13:00 e 17:00-20:00) Pro Loco Massa Lubrense
Following the fire that affected much of the Monte S. Costanzo, in particular the area upstream of the municipal road Ieranto, by order no. 164 of 26/08/2016, the transit of said road has been disqualified.
Therefore, you can not reach the Bay of Ieranto, and activities of the FAI calendar are suspended.
The conservatory of the most holy Rosary rises in the heart of the Monticchio’s Village, one of the eighteen typical villages of Massa Lubrense. Monticchio is located in a very wide valley on the west side of S.Maria della Neve . The square of the village, where the most important church consecrated to S.Pietro rises, is located at 315 meters above sea level. The Village, however, it extends up on the hill, even more then 350 meters. We have knowledge of Monticchio from 1221, when the old church of S. Pietro was founded. In the 1489 it was named “ Monditio”, and it counted no more then 179 inhabitants. The village of Monticchio takes its name from its position, up on a mound. There are fountains, gardens and hunting place of Focetole and Turdi.
The Cloister of Monticchio
The foundation of the Conservatory was strongly wanted By Cristina Olivieri, a young and devout Neapolitan women, who since 1707 used to spend her holydays in the village of Monticchio, guested by the Tizzano’s family. During this time she worked so much to pick up the money nedded for the construction of the cloister. Once she did it, sister Cristina bought two small areas near the local church, and after she got the approval of the bishop De Rossi in 1723, she invited the priest of Monticchio to bless the first stone. This event raised a general discontent between the citizens of Massa Lubrense, already harassed by the privileges of the Religious Corporations. In fact between the 16th and the 17th century, there was a great expansion f the religious cult and the sacred buildings add up to as many as 100. The religious multiplied. At the beginning of the 18th century, thanks to the several acts of mercy, which have happened over the past two decades, the churches, the chapels, the monasteries and the abbeys, they owned almost the entire territory of Massa Lubrense. The city ended with a wealthy class made up of religious and a poor one, which included the rest of the citizens. The people of Massa Lubrense were forced to resort to the holy Roman Congregation and to the Viceroy of Naples, in order to protest against the construction of the new cloister. Sister Cristina Olivieri, to bypass such demands, she declared that those factories were built as a private use. The protest and the objections of the citizens and the defense of the founder they continued for several years, in the meantime the construction of the building, it kept. In the 1746 the Conservatory was finished and inhabited by nuns. Attached to the cloister there is a church name after S. Maria del Rosario and both the buildings they belong to the order of S. Domenico.
The Co. founder of the complex was Ignazio Chiaiese, a great artist of the Neapolitan earthenware in the 18th century, who belong to one of the most important dynasties operating in this type of art in the city of Naples between the end of the 17th century and the 18th century. Also the tiles of the Congregation in the Cathedral of Sorrento, and the decorated wall still visible in the yard of Palazzo Correale, are attributable to this factory. Ignazio Chiaiese was the son of Leonardo, author of the floor “ The Expulsion from the Garden”, in Ancapri. He arrived in Monticchio on behalf of his aunt, who a few weeks before, she had brought her daughter to the cloister. She regretted and she asked him to help her. She asked him to get to the cloister , free her daughter and bring her home. The legend says that Ignazio Chiaiese, once he was at the presence of Sister Cristina Olivieri, was fascinated by the women with the blind eyes, in which he saw the heavenly light of the conversion. Sister Cristina told him to be the man of the providence, sent by the Lord to help her in the construction of the cloister, and so he did. He also became one of its biggest donors. In fact he picked up several donations between the local wealthy families. Mastr’Ignazio, like he was called, he embellished the inside areas of the cloister and of the church using the art of the “tile”.
The cloister in particular holds a panel of tiles in baroque style, in which the author represents himself, penitent at the foot of the Virgin, single example of self-portrait known with this technique. The frame, also in baroque style, is painted on the same level of the represented scene. The author represents himself on his knee, penitent at the foot of the Virgin, depicted in the center of the composition, with a spear in her hand. The Virgin targets with her sword a quietly sitting dragon. Ignazio is linked to the dragon through some chains which are nearly cracked. The chains symbolize the sins. He is free from the chains of sin but he stays on his knee because he actually wants to stay sinner
For the first time the Virgin is represented armed, holding a spear. The Madonna in fact she is never a punisher. She is always represented as a “Mother full of Grace”. On either side of the main panel there are two more paints on tiles. The one on the left side represent a sleeper St. Joseph and the angel Gabriel who appears in his dream. Next to St. Joseph there is a flower stick, sign of the divine choice. The panel on the right side instead, it represents St. Francis likewise sleeper. The Saint sleep while a storm is taking place and a galleon is floundering. The vessel is like the one used by the Saracen pirates, which in 1558 fiercely invaded Massa Lubrense and Sorrento. The “sinking” is an allegory which means the storm of the soul. Everyone in his life get through a storm and to get over it, we have to abandon everything is force and rely on God. The force is symbolized by the sword painted on the bottom right of the composition.
Church of the Most Holy Rosary
The church has a 17th century facade accessed by a staircase with two semicircular ramps. The inside is baroque, with an elegant architecture and decoration. The layout is a Greek Cross with very shorts arms and is underneath by a lowered cup with a torch. The construction of the church had already started in 1746, as shown Mons. Pisani who in that year, he visited the cloister which was just finished. The church instead, was finished in 1762, a date which is legible on the floor and on the pipe organ. The floor full completely covered by tiles, is gorgeous, and it was also made by Ignazio Chiaiese. The paint is dominated by a big star which symbolizes the Holy Spirit. The overlying dome perfectly match with the symbolic representation painted on the floor. On the longest rays of the star we can admire garlands of flowers. On the tiles on the sides of the High Altar, are painted four peacocks, each one in a different position, below which we found the ossuaries. All the flooring is characterized by flowers paints which most likely were chosen to remind the outside garden of the cloister. In the middle of the High Altar, we found a framework of the” Blessed Virgin of the Rosary”, and on the sides we can admire the “Dinner in Emaus” and the “Adoration of the Magi”. The technique used for the creation of the paints is the one which is characterized by the play of lights and shadows. This kind of technique was typical of the Neapolitan School in that period. In the framework of the “Last Supper”, the Apostles are represented all at the same side. There is no emphasis of the one who sinned. This kind of representation was used for the very first time by Leonardo Da Vinci to realize his paint of the “Last Supper”, exposed in the Sistine Chapel. “The Adoration of the Magi” is from the Baroque.